Paper 2: Research/Evidence-Based Treatment (2 double-spaced pages or less)
Purpose: Familiarize yourself with research in Abnormal Psychology
Go to: Duke University EBM tutorial online. “This tutorial is intended for any health care practitioner or student who needs a basic introduction to the principles of Evidence-Based Practice (of any sort—medical and psychological, etc.) Go through each step of the tutorial. The tutorial will allow you to
• define Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) and its importance in clinical work
• identify the parts of a well-built clinical question
• describe steps in the EPB process
• differentiate between two major types of clinical questions—background/foreground
• identify searching strategies that could improve PubMed searching
• create well-built clinical questions
After you have completed the e-learning tutorial, Modules 1 to Module 5, you should be able to include answers to the questions below in your paper:
What is evidence-based practice (EBP)?
Why is EPB important?
What are the Steps in the EPB process?
What is the “PICO” (discussed in the Duke tutorial)
Name and define the Types of Studies in the Hierarchy of Evidence on the pyramid in EBM. What resources did you select to answer your question?
How can the field of psychology benefit from using the methods of evidence-based practice?
We are now going to add psychiatric symptoms to the case of the 65-year-old male with a long history of type 2 diabetes described in the Duke tutorial. See Module 5 for an example of how you should report this case. Here is our mental health description. So, we will enhance the description of the client.
PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION IN YOUR PAPER: This is a therapy question. The patient is a 65-year-old male with a long history of type 2 diabetes and obesity. He also suffers from depression. Now—pretend you are a psychologist and this client is referred to you by his primary care physician. The doctor says to you, “We are working on controlling his diabetes, can you please help him with his depression?” Currently, he claims that he is very sad and upset about being a diabetic. He feels ashamed and embarrassed. He says he feels empty inside. He wonders if life is worth living and he dwells on his losses. He is not suicidal, but his daughter says he seems to be withdrawn and unenthusiastic about life.”
Use what you have learned in the tutorial about evidence-based health and apply it to mental health treatment.
• What kind of mental health intervention do you recommend for our patient? In other words, what is an effective/efficacious way to treat his depression?
• What search terms will you use? Diabetes 2 and depression? What else?
• What type of clinical question are you asking?
• Would you prescribe psychotherapy? Just designating psychotherapy is not enough to answer the question.
• Specifically, what type of psychotherapy?
• Would you prescribe psychotropic medication?
• Base your recommendations on research evidence. Search the literature and find at least one article that supports your intervention strategy. Include a link to the article.
Limit yourself to 2 double-spaced pages or less. Be concise. You can use bullet points.
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates